Originally Posted by Tornado_ALIVE
[[quote=MarkMT][quote=Tornado_ALIVE]
5 kg could mean a boat length or 2 on each downwind leg for example. The boat has to push an extra 5 liters of water out the way. Each gust the lighter boat will accelerate that little bit quicker, run just that little bit deaper. Around the course by yourself it would not make much difference. In a sizable fleet a few boat lengths could mean places and mean a greater difference in time over the course of the race. Racing in a big fleet you will notice that a boat that gains even 1/3 boat length on you can spit you out the back and add to even more of a loss as you are forced to gain clear air.

Since 5g can make this much of an impact, does that mean that you are close to minimum crew weight as possible?

On a Tornado, there is no minimum crew weight...correct?

Does that mean you have really small crews so they can be that much faster on the race course? Do you make sure you have the least amount of body fat as possible without hampering your performance? Does your crew do the same thing?

Let's talk about F18's...They do have a minimum crew weight. Are the top racers as close to minimum weight as possible? Or are the top crews in varying weights such as 5kilos(~11lbs).
With that thought, with the top crews in varying weights, that means the Top crews should get the tops spots according to their crew weights. Does that happen in the F18's? Or do the crew weights NOT matter and a lot of the winning spots depends on who has done the CREW work?
Here's another example...

What is the primary driving force when you are going downwind with a spinnaker? The spinnaker, correct? You get some driving force off of the Main and Jib, but it's not enough...

So, with that being said and the weight thing being so performance enhancing or detrimental that a singlehanded crew on an F16 going downwind should DESTROY the F16 crew being double handed...is that correct? I mean, everytime I've seen a singlehanded crew go up against a doublehanded crew, it's pretty much equal...I don't see the singlehanded just pull away like a scolded dog. They should, correct, that's ONE LESS BODY, much more than 5kilos?

Or does it happen to be the DRIVER and THE CREW WORK?

Answer me that one!

If this 5g's makes that much of a difference, then that means as soon as I see two 75lb midgets show up to a regatta, that the race committe needs to go ahead and hand them the trophies? I mean, heck 150lbs.....against other crews of 250-350, they are obviously going to win it, correct?

I'm not trying to pick on you, you just happen to have a statement about 5kilos there...

YES, I understand that weight DOES make a DIFFERENCE, but with so many other FACTORS that comes into play, WEIGHT is least of my worries and should be the same with a lot of you guys and gals. Especially when it comes to the better hull design's and using a spinnaker going downwind...That HAS been proven. If some of you care about weight that much, then you need to put down the burger, fries, and beer and eat a salad and drink some water.

Mike

Viper USA 132

1984 Hobie 18