Originally Posted by Wouter

Macca,

If the Carbon mast is no quicker, why allow it??

If the carbon mast is no quicker, why DISallow it ?

Are we really claiming here that the customers don't know what is going on.

We don't allow diamond inlays in the hulls either; if someone wants to spend money on that then why prevent it ? The F16 class rules are engineered to allow for fair racing between boats of different makes while allowing maximal personal freedom, not to prevent some person from wasting money on unnecessary things.

Isn't it time we start treating catamaran buyers like capable adults, you know, WITH a brain of their own ?

Wouter

You have made some excellent points above and the statement that the class is targeted at "weekend warriors" is very important.

For me the weekend warrior is the perfect market (I consider myself one). With this in mind surely the rule set should reflect and encourage boats that support their audience?

To me as an interested observer from the peanut gallery, the class is trying to serve 2 masters. It is trying to be a virtual anything goes development class that is viewed at the forefront of technology and sell that concept to the average guy who wants to go for a yacht on Saturday with the family. Putting my marketing hat on, that will be a very hard ask in the longer term. As a boat buyer, the underlying perception (right or wrong) with "High Tech", Carbon masts/beams and the like = "EXPENSIVE" which could turn an otherwise sure sale into one that got away.

I understand your point about self regulation in your point about M20's however the pessimist in me says these materials when used as part of a boat design that is soundly designed and fully developed (ie somebody spends a lot of money on it) will clean up. Right now I don't think (with all due respect) the prestige is high enough in winning a F16 Global Challenge to warrant such an investment. Over time as the class builds and winning such an event means something significant (in a broader sense) it is inevitable that someone(s) will invest the money. Then there is a problem as the class becomes out of reach of it's "weekend warrior" roots and becomes the latest gun class for a few years or so till the next one comes along.

I think it should be considered by the executive committee at the very least.

Tiger Mike