Yo. Sorry for not chiming in since starting this shitfan, but I wanted to see how this played out. Here is what I got out of the thread (I have a bad case of ADD ro ADDHD or whatever):

1. Macca likes F16
2. Macca is worried the F16 will eat its own and a class killer is coming out, by someone with more money than sense
3. Macca bases this on that the Viper is the best F16 and the Viper is a little obese per class rules

My field work says:

1. Macca is right to like F16
2. Macca is right to like the Viper as a F16 in today's environment
3. Macca is right to applaud AHPC support worldwide

BUT, I think the F16 community likes the idea of lighter boats and I personally do not think Viper's are inherently faster than any other F16 design across all conditions.

The reason the Vipers are doing well are two fold: sail plan and sailors.

First, the Viper sail plan is awesome (Goodall will tell you the sail plan is 80% of the battle, hull shape comes next). They have done their home work and their sails are very nice - especially against first and second generation F16 sail shapes).

Second, at all (US based) big regattas Vipers have been sailed by sailors of well reknown (Goodall, Casey, Daniels) - of course they are going to win. It is the sailor, not the nut that wins the races.

The Viper is the flavor of the day for F16 - but other new designs are going to challenge them (Rapter, Falcon, etc.) - especially when sails get dialed in....

Just ask the Vipers abt the Blade that beat them by over an hour at RTI this past year (Blade + Goodall sails). I've seen all F16s excel depending on the saillors on board.

It still seems to be the sailors that make the difference. I have owned a 1st generation Blade and a 2009 Viper. My Viper was faster than my Blade, in my mind wholely attributed to sail shape and foil design (my Blade had the old school low aspect boards).

I do not think the 135kg F16 is the future ...

Tom