Hobie has a bigger decision to make than prohibiting open class sailing at Hobie sanctioned regattas.

That decision is:

Design new boats that are on the top end of the market, simple to rig and low on maintenance, capable and durable enough to sail in coastal waters with 20+ winds ranges and sizable chop, and price them aggressively.

The past boats were fine boats but it is time to develop new products because of new knowledge (even this is getting old) and building material.

They need a new

16 footer - present Hobie 16 needs to be replaced with a stiff full volume symetrical hulled boat, boards maybe maybe not, better rudder system, new mast, crossbars, and hardware.

18 Hobie Tiger is a good boat that does not need replacing (could be lighten up but class rules restrict such things) . This boat needs to be manufactured in the US or Mexico. With the manufacturing in europe, currency x-rates are effecting prices and the buyer (nor Hobie) cannot afford 20% price swings.

20 footer - Miracle needs to be replaced. This was an attemp at copying the P19 but the boat should be replaced and a new 20 footer developed.

Fox needs to be discontinued. Their is no choice between an I-20 and a Fox and the market has spoken.

A new Hobie 21 needs to be introduced for the big boys who want powerful boats. A market exists for a boat that can handle the 500 plus pound sailing teams that love cat sailing. These guys love all that sail area and extra wide beam with wings. Hobie just needs to lighten up the monster by 125 pounds, design a hull that does not leak, and increase hull volume. The boat would sell if it existed.

Other Hobie's I do not have first hand experience with.

I challenge Hobie or Performance to really design the next generation 20 footer with spinnaker and put a list price on it for $12,500 and I will buy it.

Actually, Performance Catamarans has brought out new models or updated old designs but they have room for improvement also.

Mark C28R no. 140 Houston, TX