Matt

First the HCA is not a government even though it is acting like one. You are not forced to join the HCA, it is a volunteer membership. I sent an email to my division chair in 2001 and I don’t know how he voted or how anyone voted since the results were never published, that I know of. Was there a vote on the new policy and what were the results? I did not even know there was going to be a meeting or vote, so how could I go to my division chair? I did not see the meeting published as noted in the bylaws. It looks like Hobie Cat Co. is also forcing this new policy from Doug Skidmore’s letter. Hobie Cat Co should not have any say in what goes on in the HCA. If Hobie Cat Co wants to donate money that’s great, but there should not be any Hobie Cat Co employees on the HCA board. Do you not think that with a decision this big there should be a membership vote?

I have been a member for a long time, put on some regattas and have never seen any money or support from HCA. Where does all that money go? I did get some course stickers, but I had to pay for them and they were out of date. It seems like a lot of money is wasted on the HCA newsletters and by the time I get them the event is over or I read it online so I just throw it away.

This will be the first year in a long time I won’t be joining HCA because the members have no rights and the manufacturer appears to be running things. If things change I may come back, but for now I will be supporting catamaran sailing for all and not just supporting a manufacturer.