I really don't know, Mark. I expect there will be some clarification eventually. Don't forget that the flying "H" logo and "Hobie Cat" name are trademarks and are subject to use with permission from the Hobie Cat Company and the Alter family (not the HCA). They've been pretty free with their permission in the past. I can't comment on the future.

When we got our start from the mono club, they used a number pennant to designate our class start, just like they did for the other classes. It was no big deal - it just cost them 5 extra minutes and 3 extra bangs out of the propane cannon. We were out for fun and you could hardly call what we did "racing." Half the boats weren't even class legal.

I think problems will arise when you want to use the strict one-design rules, the HCA standard sailing instructions, HCA standard courses, etc. It also is a problem when "Hobie Fleet XX" or "HCA Division XX" is the Organizing Authority on the Notice of Race. That, to me, smells like a HCA sanctioned event, and would fall under the auspices of the edict.

I'm speculating here, though. Like I said, we all expect some logistical clairification in the next couple of months from the HCA.

Matt