I must have had way too much coffee this AM.

Truce, OK?

I can't say anything more than what Jeff Alter already has on the "edict," therefore I have some constructive suggestions:

I am "Acting Commodore" of Fleet 97 because I can't get any of the other members(the 20 year people) to take the job.
I can't get them to return their membership or election ballots.
I can't get them to volunteer for any Fleet positions.
I am not the webmaster.

You're expressing a lot of the same frustrations that we've had at the top levels of the NAHCA for years. Let's face it, there's less than 1% of the sailors out there that care enough to put in the time (even to vote) to help administer the sport.

But I digress - Sam, you're in the same position that my own fleet was in. Nobody volunteered to do anything anymore, so it just kind of went away.

It took the energy of only one person, Jeff Rabidoux, to get us started again. I suggest you drop the "Acting" prefix from your title. Take the initiative. Be the webmaster. (If you know how to post in this forum, you can create a website.) Promote the fleet. Set realistic goals, and concentrate on fun events, not racing.

We (Fleet 276) hooked up with a local sailing club who gave us a start at their Wed. night races. We were out with the J-24's and J-35's, and we had a great time. So what if there were only 5 Hobies on the line (a few 16's, a 20, an 18SX, and my 17). Most of the 16's were ancient and didn't have Comp-tips. Afterward, we'd retire to the club for burgers & beer. It was like a bowling league for Hobies!

Jeff R. put together a Fleet building PowerPoint presentation for our Division 10 meeting last weekend. It's got a lot of great ideas for finding and keeping fleet members. I'm sure he'd be willing to send it to you on CD. The presentation assumes you're starting from scratch, which it sounds like you are.

Jeff, I know you're monitoring this thread - can you contact Sam & arrange to get him the CD?

I have a soft spot for Fleet 97 - there's a guy named Bob Hall who used to be active in Raleigh fleet. His father and mine bought 2 Hobie 16's at the Richmond boat show in early 1973 and started us both down this long, strange trip.

Good luck, Sam.

Matt Bounds
Hobie Fleet 221 (Richmond, VA)
Hobie Fleet 231 (southern Maine)
Hobie Fleet 276 (Detroit, MI)

Don't Fear the Speed, Fear the Addiction!