Mark

I checked the results of the 2002 and 2003 Spring Fever and Hobie-only mid-winters east and here is what I found.

2003 SF / 2003 MW / 2002SF / 2002MW
H14 / 0 / 0 / 3 / 2
Wave / 0 / 5 / 6 / 0
Getaway /1 / 0 / 6 / 0
H16 / 10 / 8 / 17 / 7
H17 / 5 / 12 / 8 / 11
TheMightyHobie18 / 11 / 1 / 10 / 2
H18m / 0 / 0 / 5 / 0
H20 / 6 / 4 / 14 / 9
Tiger/ 9 / 4 / 7 / 5

Total/ 42 / 34 / 73 / 41

total
open / 23 / 0 / 52 / 0

total/ 65 / 34 / 125 / 41

All Hobie classes in SF were scored as one design, except the single Hobie boats were grouped in an open class so they had someone to race against. It seems to me that the SF had a bigger Hobie class and more boats than the Hobie- only regatta both years. It looks like the non-Hobie regattas had more Hobie boats than the Hobie only regatta. I attended both SF regattas and I had a great time with tons of raffle prizes and tons of great food for three days and a band, and I don't think Hobie gave any support.
It looks to me like open catamaran racing with separate boat classes is better than Hobie only racing. I would like to see the results that the HCA is using and would also like to see the budgets from HCA to see where they are spending our money. Is it not our rights as members? The HCA should publish the budget, the amount of members and active fleets in their newsletter.

I am all for one-design, but I think it can still be done allowing other boats at our regattas. I say 'our' because most regattas I go to in Division 9 are put on by sailors that love sailing and spend their time and sometimes money to put on these regattas without any financial support from Hobie or the HCA. It seems to me if these individuals are going to spend their time and money and use yacht club ties to have a regatta they should be able to invite other boats, as long as they group 5 alike boats to make a Hobie class or what ever. Most of us are not getting paid for this and we are giving Hobie free advertising (web sites,logos on shirts, etc.)and trying to invite new people into sailing. Thanks for asking your members what they want(I never saw a vote on this from the members of HCA)it felt like a slap in the face after reading the newly enforced rules from PU. I guess that is the thanks that we get for putting on regattas for years for HCA. Just my thoughts.