The more I read this thread and the more I talk with fellow sailors, the more I’m starting to realize that this entire ballyhoo comes down to one person: PU, which are appropriate initials for the way he is acting in his position with the IHCA. From what I’ve been told, the board’s voting population is so far up PU’s bum that it’s hard to tell where he leaves off and they begin. He’s now made IHCA and HCA his personal fiefdom to rule as he sees fit. After reading IHCA’s press release describing the new rules, how they've been broken, and the consequenses of future crimes, it has “grumpy old man” written all over it. Now he’s telling the organizers of next year’s H-20/Tiger/17 nationals that they can’t also include the TheMightyHobie18 because, among other reasons, there isn’t enough room in Monterey Bay for all four classes. Are you kidding me? There was enough room for the Olympic’s sailing venue in a lake near Atlanta; there most certainly is enough room in Monterey Bay for a Hobie regatta. He’s also, apparently, putting off other applicants with a string of questionable excuses, while insisting that he be named PRO and demanding everything short of a eunuch to wipe his bottom in exchange for the service.

What’s sad, and should be frightening for Hobie Cat Co. is that PU is now a very influential voice for a very large population of Hobie customers. Obviously he has devoted a great deal of personal time and energy to Hobie Cat sailing and sailors, but has he lost site of the overall goal of this sport: Fun and friendships, not personal vendettas. If I were at Hobie Co’s helm, I’d be reeling this guy in and making very sure that he doesn’t single handedly poke a big hole in the proverbial hull.

H-20 #896