Reply to Ken Marshack :

Just to clear things up, in South Africa cat sailing is much smaller than in USA, but probably more concentrated in certain areas. In Cape Town the Hobie 16`s are the majority (20-25 active), Mosquito`s are close behind (15-20 active), and there are a few Dart 18`s (only 1 or 2).
In Gauteng there are 40 Dart 18`s, while the Hobie class has all but died out there.
The Hobie class here organises the Hobie Points series Regattas, incorporating a Long-distance race on the Saturday. It`s open to all classes of cat, the Long distance race is scored as open class on ISAF handicap. The points series races have one start for all classes, but we are scored separately as classes. The reason we don`t have 3 separate starts is that it would take 3 times as much organising, and as I mentioned, cat sailing is not huge here.
I also believe that the Hobie sailors like the fact that we race with them, as we are pretty even on speed around a course (we are much smaller in sail area than true F16 boats.) There`s friendly rivalry, more boats on the water to race, more fun for all. We like racing with them, and it would be a pity if Hobie decide to disallow this to continue. The Hobie class here also benefit from multiclass regattas : they will be holding their Provincial Champs together as part of an Open class regatta which caters for all cats, dinghies and even sailboards. Last year we had over 250 boats at this event, of which 23 were H16`s and 5 or 6 Tigers. The H16 class was the second largest class & had their own start. Would it be a good idea for IHCA to disallow them to participate in such a well-organised event ? Would it detract from their mission to market their boat ? I think the opposite, if they held their event separately at a venue that did not have all the other sailors present, who would see them ? Who would it hurt but themselves ?
The Dart class did this last year - this year they`ve decided to join in the fun !
I sincerely hope that IHCA understand what it is they are proposing to do. The Hobie class still have their own identity, as a non-Hobie sailor I can`t attend their Nationals or Provincial Champs, those are Hobie sanctioned events and this is only logical - you can`t bring a Hobie to a Mosquito Nationals. But to enforce this ideal on all existing well attended open class events, even if they are run by the Hobie class, would be crazy.

Steve