Do you understand the concept behind one-design racing?.....it isn't fair to blame the sailors who happen to like one-design racing.

Orangesoda,
I have heard this said over and over, as though only Hobie sailors like to race one-design. It simply is not true. Most cat sailors, per surveys I have done through my magazine, prefer one-design racing if they have enough boats at a regatta for a one-design class.

I actually thought it was a brilliant move on the part of NAHCA when they started allowing an "Open Class" at their regattas, because they were able to say, "See? Those guys have to race on Portsmouth, and we are racing one-design, which is a lot more fun."

But, actually, many of "those guys" would have raced one-design if they had been allowed to do so at the Hobie regattas.

When a class knows it can race one-design at a regatta, the leaders muster out the troops and get boats to it. No incentive to do that when one-design fleets are not allowed.

Rick and I are staunch proponents of one-design racing. I personally think Portsmouth racing is the absolute pits.

Just wanted to point out that Hobie does not have a lock on love of one-design.