I don't think anyone is saying they don't like "one-design" racing. Technically that is what Formula is about. Here are the guidelines, if you boat matches them, you get to race it.

Hobie doesn't want to sponsor anything that doesn't have to do with sailing if their boats are not in the majority, thats all. From the press release, it sounds like they are willing to get nasty about it too and I think that is where people begin to get bad vibes.

My home fleet is 98% Hobies and we get our insurance through US Sailing. Will this impact me as a Nacra guy? Yes and no. Yes because technically the regional events are usually "Hobie" events so there are very few places to race now. No because we all will still hang out and have a good time.

Other fleets are more of a split. What Hobie is taking away is the "structure" from regional events that have included other boats. What it will come down to is what clubs will play ball and what clubs will just say screw it. Yesterday I was pissed because of the press release. The more I think about it, the less I care.

Am I going to sail a Hobie this summer? Prob. not. Am I going to have fun on my boat? O yes... and that is what it is all about. I am just going to continue to promote good times with great sailing and let the chips fall where they want to. I will have to quit using the term "Hobie way of life" and call it something else.

Who knows, maybe after 2 years they will get the hint.