I'm relatively new on the Hobie racing scene (my 5th season this year... ) but i can say that i've enjoyed having the X-class sailing with us at our div regattas... our emphasis has always been with the hobie boats and 90-95% of all boats attending are hobies... each class having their own start and scoring and the x-class sailing together...
I've always felt that getting anyone sailing with other people is a boost to the 'industry' no matter what boat they own. No, the hobies are not as advanced as some of the other boats i've seen.. but when people are talking to me about buying a boat, i ask them what their plans are? racing or pleasure? if you're racing, in our fleet/div anyway.. get into a hobie, because the class is big and growing, good competition, and easily accessable parts, and good used boats can be found fairly easily. I understand the need to promote Hobie events for hobies, but not being an 'exclusive club' about it... I'm also a musician playing a particular style of music... when i have or go to parties, they may be focused on celtic music, but if we were exclusive "you play rock, you can't come", i'd missed out on some good friends and a few converts as well!!
I believe in the 'good sportmanship' that most of us share about letting our neighbours 'play' with us... and will be sorry when this new ruling takes effect...

paul