Following this thread. My personal opinion is:
For those Hobie Divisions and Fleets in question.
Do you feel the 400 lb Gorilla (Hobie Cat Company & HCA representatives) lurking in the corners?
Some care, introspection and homework is advised.

NAMSA is a good candidate but read the fine print. The only problem I saw was, if your group wants some autonomy this may not be the umbrella your organization wants to be under.

You can play outside the boxes (HCA, NAMSA, US Sailing, etc.) it is just a little more difficult. I found you can get the same insurance etc. for the same or cheaper through private companies. Insurance Riders for big events where government property etc. is used is easily obtained. Equipment you may already control. As far as manpower goes when did you ever have enough volunteers, support boats etc. and how much help did you get from the big organizations?

IHCA, NAHCA, HCA, The Hobie Cat Company or whatever the name wants to be has every right to exclude whom ever they want from their events. As I see it, the ‘Suits’ think if you change the name everything will change their way. Well change can be good for all. As the fly on the wall it will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Terry

Terry