Tracie, Robyn and I agree completely. When we first started sailing we went to a few regattas to learn and see what boat we wanted to buy. We CHOOSE a Hobie 18 not because anyone pushed it on us, but because we liked it. When we get ready to upgrade, we will buy based on what we like, hobie or not.

I too have made many friends who sail Hobies, and many who sail others and if the choice has to be made, I would rather sail one-design at a regatta with mutiple fleets, regardless of manufacturer.

I can see division 9 becoming a multihull division and our regattas staying the same, possibly with the help of NAMSA. Our Hobie fleet started the Upstate Sailing Association to encourage sailing of ALL multis and I don't see that changing.

I would rather see the above take place than to ever tell Jake, David, or any of the other members of the SeaCats, that they are not welcome at our regattas.

Hobie has a right to their opinion, this is what they feel is best for them. It will fragment many fleets and change some area regattas. I feel our division will work together as it has, make changes where needed, but keep our open policy and work to strengthen SAILING as a whole.

Kindest regards,

David and Robyn Strickland
Hobie Fleet 164 (at least for now)
Upstate Sailing Association

David Strickland
Hobie 18
HEAVY air crew on a J22