David,

First, contrary to popular opinion, this not a Hobie Company decision regarding X class. This is an IHCA and HCA bylaws issue. Of course, Hobie Cat USA is supporting it fully and for good reason. Personally, I wasn't even involved with the decision the class made, but being a long time Hobie Class enthusiast and racer I fully understand it and support it. It's not a company issue to me it is a class issue.

What is Hobie Cat going to give to those Hobie fleets?

The Hobie Cat Company already provides considerable support to the Hobie Class of North America in funds, administration and labor. I personally do the Class News covers and handle the newsletter production issues. Our parts department (which I manage) has been providing regatta give-aways to Hobie events for nearly 30 years that I can remember. It is not new. All a fleet has to do is ask. We provide a number of higher dollar items and include handfuls of other little Hobie trinkets so more people get something. (We will work on the type of items we include so more people can feel they get something of value from our efforts.) Our company employees who race attend regional events, National and Worlds events. When we have been asked, we provide personnel for the class GEP (Guest Expert) program. We are involved with US Sailing and other organizations that promote sailing and multihull sailing.

We are at the bigger Boat shows in the country promoting Hobie sailing and racing. We constantly promote local fleets as a way to get people into the sport.

David, I can't think of everything we do, but we do allot.

What will we do in addition to this? We are always open to suggestion.

Hobie Cat Forums
Matt Miller
Hobie Cat Company