so i had this though while working today.... why not post a required amount of Hobie participation in regattas for hobie sanctioning? IE... 80% of boats registered must be hobies....and the div must maintain this over the season.
I know that our regattas in div 4 have a good support of the hobies and in our largest regatta of 52 boats, 42 were hobies and 10 were 'other' cats, A cats, I20's and a few others. I know that these folks have appreciated the Hobie regattas, the people, the organization and the racing... they appreciate being able to race in a well organized regatta where they have no fleets to race against.... And some of these people also volunteer to help at regattas where they are not sailing, giving something back to the division. My understanding has always been that we put on the Hobie regattas for the Hobies and have invited the others to 'piggy back' on the experience. Now of course, we have always had a great turn out of hobies vs x class... I am gathering that in other divisions/fleets the balance is swaying away from the hobies... I can understand then the concern about hosting a Hobie regatta where more than half the boats are not hobies.. it then becomes a multihull regatta.. with hobie support?

dunno.. i'm rambling now i think.. so i'll leave it there... my $.02 worth... (cdn, that is.. about $.005 US)