Reading back on the press releases with the light of the current situation shining on it, I wonder if the joint venture that took place with a nod toward the other "very desirable sponsors" failed to realize the "very desirable sponsors" so NBC ends up with all the rights and no funding to do anything with them. I'm seriously spit-balling here but suppose NBC didn't get what they had expected in return but still held the rights. The AC would either have to refund them somehow (which would look terrible even if they had the budget to do it) or the AC would have to somehow live with the fact that they can't publicly broadcast anything within the US...one might, say, develop a pay-per-view mobile app that is probably priced just to try and recoup its development costs or charges just enough that it doesn't infringe on the previously mentioned rights. This might also help to explain why the computer app was curiously blocked from receiving the broadcast in the last round if it had something to do with overlapping with those NBC rights....it's about the only thing that I can see making sense. Clearly NBC's business model for broadcasting the cup included external factors based on the following detail in the press release from February.

The network did not pay a rights fee in the last deal, and while terms of this latest deal were not released, Jon Miller, president of programming for NBC and NBC Sports Group, said it was a “different deal than we did last time.”

“This is more of a joint venture,” Miller said.

He added that the America’s Cup Event Authority, which is organizing the event, “has a good bank of sponsors that they’re bringing as well,” something Miller said made acquiring the rights “very desirable.”

- See more at: http://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2...-35th-americas-cup/#sthash.tItRmwbp.dpuf

Jake Kohl