Originally Posted by Mark Schneider
Wow... just read Rick's editorial in the new Catsailor...

Sorry to hear that the actual Wave Class was tossed from the Hobie Havamega event because they don't follow the Hobie rules.

Nothing subtle about this message. They are clearly hanging out the "YOU are not welcome at our event sign"!

I haven't seen the editorial yet, but I can categorically state that is not what happened. Another case of Mark stirring up **** that he knows nothing about. mad

The original NOR had the Waves using the IWCA rules. The IHCA had some issues with that, and offered to modify the IHCA Waves rules to allow aftermarket rudders and sails (the only real differences betweeen the rules) for this event. However, the aftermarket sails would need to "fit within the perimeter of the stock Wave sail". In consulting with a IWCA measurer, I was not convinced that that would happen. As the PRO for the event, I didn't want people showing up with aftermarket sails and being DSQ'd because they didn't measure in. Nor did I want to deal with measuring sails.

Hobie Cat (who is still planning on providing a trailer-load of charter boats to the event) got involved and stated that no modifications (including aftermarket sails) would be allowed on the charter boats.

So . . Gordo said "Screw it! I'm tired of dealing with the rule mongering - we'll just run it with the IHCA Rules." - which are different from the IWCA in only the two aspects described above.

Nobody "dis-invited" the Waves.

The HAVAMEGA will be the Wave North American Championship. All Wave owners / sailors are welcome. Hobie Cat is providing a lot of charter boats. You can bring your own boat, but it has to have a Hobie sail and stock rudders.