Can you say public relations disaster ??

I'm reminded of the worst advertising slogan of all time,

"Nothing Sux like an Electrolux"

That having been said, Hobie Cat Company could have required that charter boats be used with all the factory supplied equipment and been well within their rights as the manufacturer/supplier.
Who could you rent a car from that would let you swap in your own engine for the weekend?
( Kind of apples and oranges I know, but hopefully you catch my drift)

If which sail someone used was that big an issue to someone, they could bring their own boat rather than take advantage of the convenience of a charter boat.

IHCA could have given a one time pass on using the IWCA rules.
If necessary, the event organizer could have scored the waves in two fleets if the non factory sails were that big of an issue.

To make the change after the NOR had been published and the waves invited to participate with the understanding that IWCA rules would be used is kind of like trying to put toothpaste back in the tube.

Obviously hard feelings and negative publicity are the net result.

Cut me I bleed Hobie, and it hurts me to see the company alienate a whole group of sailors.

The company has made it clear by their actions that the are much more focused on the recreational market i.e. sales of yaks and rotomolded boat sales to rental outfits and resorts.

I for one think the company and the HCA-NA are too intimate.

HCA-NA needs to stand on its own two feet and run its own business.
If necessary, we need to buy our soul back from the company store.

The Hobie Cat Company makes decisions based on what is in their best interest as a business.
Hobie Class Association of North America needs to do the same.

Stephen C

Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain