Originally Posted by mmiller
Originally Posted by Jake
Perhaps Hobie could talk with the IWCA and negotiate a change in the IWCA rule for unilateral support of a Hobie-only rudder system in the future if Hobie agrees to make one available that meets the needs of the class. Allow the sailors to grandfather in pre-existing rudder systems.

FYI: This is mostly a Class Association issue... not a factory one.

First and most important to the factory, We build the Wave to sell to the recreational market, so any design changes made are entirely related to that cause. The fact that it is enjoyable to race is great!

The original castings and rudders are readily available and already class legal (as factory supplied). I do not think adding EPOs fits that description.

I do not agree with making different sets of sails available. The less changes the better. You simply alienate the entry level guys to appease the hard core... This defeats the purpose of an entry level class. Why make it an "arms race" to sail Waves?

Matt,

The IWCA has had success creating a Wave racing class where there was none. They have found something and created that which did not exist before. While I agree that it is mostly a class rule issue, the factory and the IHCA rules are very closely tied together. It becomes a factory issue / opportunity to offer upgraded options for the boat to meet the wishes of the sailors who desire to race the boats.

There are two choices. Continue to try and push two Wave classes or combine the two. Since nobody seems to be actively racing under the HCA class Wave rules and it's clear that the IWCA doesn't feel that the current ancillary equipment supplied stock with the wave meets their needs, I (and others) suggested making a couple of minor compromises for the betterment of both interests that shouldn't cost much energy or expense or invalidate the Hobie sense for strict one design (supplier) of equipment.

The actively racing wave class decided they would like to have a better rudder system - so they made it happen. Hobie has had rudder choices with every other Hobie boat - why is this any different or less desirable? The IWCA decided that the sails provided by the factory, though completely satisfactory for the rental market, were far too inconsistent for their racing needs (entry level or not) so they went outside and made that happen too. 95 square feet of Pentex from a competent loft isn't going to break the bank...even for a newbie.

Hobie can either work with them to help continue to build on the early success of the class...or not. If Hobie doesn't feel Wave racing is worth the effort then that's all there is to say and things will remain as they are. I don't have a dog in the fight - but I really found your response interesting if nothing else than from a business perspective.

Jake Kohl