Originally Posted by ghhm43

How is any of this promoting Catamaran Sailing?

This was exactly my question/ point in another thread as well. This type of fight hurts us all.

Originally Posted by carlbohannon

I am a member of the IWCA and even though I wasn't planning on going I still feel dis-invited.

I'm sorry you feel that way, but how can you be dis-invited to something you weren't going to in the first place? You can't. Seriously, I'm still looking for the hard numbers. Who did we loose. I'm probably the 3rd in line as far as getting new people on the water (it's the basis of my business model) behind Shaunna and Gordo here on the West Coast. As soon as a get a hard number, I'm making a call on behalf of the Wave sailors. Just let me know.

Originally Posted by HMurphey

First, So the "Waves" are welcome .... then WHY are they not showing up?
Harry Murphey

We don't know if that's the case Harry. As of right now, it's all hearsay and hyperbole. That's what I'm trying to find out. Is this a made up problem or legitimate.

Originally Posted by brucat
To all:
Now, if you were planning to come, are you really going to stay home just because of your sails? What does that say about YOU?

All this discussion about sail cutting is a joke. When I look at the results of major events with 100% supplied boats vs. BYOB, a funny thing happens... all the really good sailors find a way to win under both formats.
If you're really interested in growing the sport, show up and race.
Mike

That is one of the most brilliant paragraphs ever written on these forums Mike. Thank you. Take note, that type of attitude will grow the sport.

Originally Posted by H17cat

Still waiting for the reply from Jeremy's request for names of noshows, due to the NOR change. Good example of "put up or shut up".
Caleb Tarleton

Thanks Caleb. That's exactly what it is. Time to put up, no make-believe. Not a one yet.

Originally Posted by srm
Any chance of getting Hobie to charter sails to folks that don't have a stock Hobie sail but were planning to attend? Might not be ideal for all, but maybe some would consider that a reasonable compromise.

sm

I will personally see to it that that happens. If anyone wants to set something up and work out the details, email me: jeremy (at) surfcitycatamarans.com

Originally Posted by David Parker

Are the stock sails to be supplied by Hobie for the charter boats so different or so terrible that any sailors, "serious" or not, would NOT attend on the basis of the sails alone? Do they really think the outcome will be so terribly different? A bad craftsman blames his tools. A good sailor always does well, even on a scrappy boat (identical boats!).

Who would carry such a chip on their shoulder that they would not sail, given the chance? These folks must have a chip on BOTH shoulders! The fabled non-attendance must be based in simple anger and has nothing to do with the fun of sailing, the fun of racing, or fun in life.

Back down, go sailing, and race by your IWCA rules when it's your regatta.

Have fun! grin

Many great points David, Thank you.

I agree, someone is going to have to back down. And since Hobie is generously offering a truck load of Waves, can't the IWCA just concede this once? Just for the sake of having fun at this one event? It doesn't seem like that big of issue to me really.

If you're really into the racing and the parties and the camaraderie, then show up. If you want to start some drama for drama's sake keep posting some rhetoric about an event that you weren't going to in the first place, don't even own that class of boat, and in some cases don't even own that manufacturers boat, therefore you should have no vested interest...other than talking smack. You are hurting cat sailing.

J

Last edited by SurfCityRacing; 05/29/09 03:38 PM.