Long thread...

Not one actual sailor who was planning to go and sail a Wave yet? Hummm.

I'm the first then.

I plan to go and sail a "stock" charter boat. Personally, I'm happy that some guy is not coming with a jacked up Wave, custom sails and custom rudders.

Yes, I work for Hobie Cat and I also have a personal, vested interest in the Wave because I was involved with the design and did much of the test sailing on this boat. I have NEVER felt it was good to open up the rules on this boat. It is a simple boat and sails very well with a variety of weights... stock. Custom sails are NOT needed and putting glass rudders on this boat is just silly.

As far as personal experience with varying winds and crew weights... I have a lot of time sailing on this boat. I have raced the Wave at a number of HCA events over the years. I have also raced a few events down at the Bitter End YC. They do a week long event each Thanks Giving week on Hobie Waves and Getaways. Last time (last fall) I was down there with Greg Thomas. He's a pretty good sailor right? He is pretty light too. I am heavy. I can tell you from PERSONAL experience that racing stock boats was very competitive. I found that the advantage can go to weight as the wind comes up and I didn't see a real disadvantage in lighter air against him or the various other sailors. The boat sails well AS IS.

Let the sailors skills and changing conditions be the variable.

Hobie Cat Forums
Matt Miller
Hobie Cat Company