I have participated in different forms of racing(dirt track, motocross, and other offroad dirtbike stuff and it always some form of drama...especially at the front. I love my dirtbikes and ride on mototracks on practice days, ride offroad all of the time.

I agree that "racing" will make you a more efficient sailor but as long as I get to where I want, Im happy. Racing in any form will always raise "equipment" and "rules" issues as yall have here. Im sure the after parties are great and the friendships are real. I understand the need to be the fastest, but I dont subscribe.

Im sorry if my previous post implied racing isnt worthy. We all have better boats and technique because of racing. I was trying to point out that Cat racing has the same level of drama as other forms of racing and like all in all cases, thats a shame.

I am a member of a dirtbike forum that used to host an annual weeklong event where people came from all over the country for a bunch of riding and facetime. We rented a prominent motocross facility that had trails for the off road crowd. The week was a blast. All speeds and talents, friends riding with friends, camping and bsing till wee hours of the morning. On Saturday there were "races" and I never saw so much griping over 5 dollar trophies. These events grew to 350 riders which required lots of volunteer/prep before the event. In the end, the lack of appreciation for the efforts of the organizer, killed the event.

Racing is rarely, just finding out about who is fastest.