I have already been called an “butt” this week for butting in, so anything worse will be [cxxxxxd].

I AM however, a member of HCA-NA though.

Firstly, several folks have indicated that these discussions should be kept private so as not to scare away new folks, etc. I disagree; this is a forum and nothing reasonable should be off limits. It is certainly better to air beliefs, opinions, wisdoms, experiences, and such openly than to hold back because of feelings and sensitivities. It makes us all the better for it.

It is probably not a good idea to call each other names though.

Secondly, I know enough about Matt Bounds to recognize he is very knowledgeable and professional in all aspects of his devotion to cat sailing. Matt is “by the book”, as he should be, when he is PRO. His opinion in this is strictly following procedures and regulations as proscribed by proper authority.
His facts about the Wave history are probably accurate.

However, I believe Rick and Mary were given de facto authority to organize the Waves when HCA or Hobie didn’t feel there was an interest in racing Waves. It really doesn’t matter anyway and I’m sure IWCA will remain vibrant and healthy regardless.

Next, it is also true that I think the way HCA, and probably more accurately Hobie Corporate, have administered the ONE DESIGN aspect that Hobie Alter so passionately embraced, has been less than stellar. The boats do vary enough that you have to somehow get the right combination of sails and bits to optimize your equipment. Sails are a big variable, and you really don’t have much say in what you get. With no published plan there is no way to really even tell, just the Hobie Cat patch.

Now, I think there is an ethical if not procedural question about changing the NOR after it has been posted. In particular, when such a long period has transpired, it is hard to justify a major change in the policy. Folks have made plans and a dealer has made a substantial financial and logistic commitment. I would say that the change in policy is damaging and disheartening to all concerned. I see no winners in this scenario.

Though not a Wave sailor, I could be. I think all of us on this forum have become aware and appreciative of the Wave happenings and they deserve more respect, especially from their manufacturer.

Jack Woehrle
Hobie Wave #100, Tiger Shark III
HCA-NA 5022-1
USSailing 654799E
Alachua FL/Put-In-Bay