Yes, still a stranger here, but after posting a few and reading every comment, it feels like I've gotten to know a few new friends. One post was long, really going somewhere, and then ended saying this thread 'wasn't helping'. I could not disagree more. It is arguable that everyone operates on some level of self interest, even if their proceedings seem selfless. This thread showed diversity of opinion in the extreme. I've had my understanding of the catamaran community vastly expanded just for the reading. Let me say that it is my opinion that most in the Hobie class feel an openness to the greater variety of catamaran sailors, though in the realm of racing, it is difficult to make that assertion stick because of the HCA ODP. Yet, I currently spend all of my training and recreational sailing time amongst non-hobie sailors, as well as kiters and wind-surfers. Doesn't seem to be any problem there! I believe we need a little more acceptance of realities and differences.

On another note, it can be said that cat sailing has had dramatic declines, but it is clear that the decline in all of sailboat racing in particular here in the US has declined to an even greater degree. On the One-Design scene, the H-16 is the envy of the Yacht Clubs here in the west. Some are stuck in their jealousy, and others are embracing us for the first time, and we're finding new venues and opportunities. I raced three weeks ago in a Hobie Points Regatta at Long Beach by Alamitos Bay Yacht Club among Thistles, F18's, Finns, as well as 3 other dinghy classes. All thanks to the last revision to the HCA One-Design Policy that Chris Wessels and Bob Merrick brought on. Our H-16 fleet boasted 14 boats. Yes, one of the largest OD classes. The best part, as a result of the ABYC experience, there was a new H-16 racer from Long Beach who came to the San Diego Classic and is on fire. We're all doing our best I guess. It's great to get some results once in a while too.