If I understand the concept of the "Wave Class" rules correctly the custom sails are based/sized on "crew wieght". (isn't the F18 class the same way). I'm not sure why there are different rudder blades that are "Wave Class Legal".

Let's review some "History" ...

When the Hobie Wave was introduced (10 years ago???) the HCA-NA did not allow or include the "Waves" in "Hobie Racing" ... so the Wave Owners formed their own Class Association and developed their own rules. And their rules seem to be working for them.

So now the HCA-NA wants to welcome them (the Waves) into the HCA-NA after ten years of ignoring the Waves... but on only the IHCA terms???????

I hate hypocrisy .... and I can not post here in "proper company" my response ..... but it involves an Internationally reconized hand-gesture using the middle finger w/ a two word verbal utterence. I'm personally getting REALLY tired of the IHCA sticking their noses in when it suits them w/ their version of "One-Design" philosophy ... which (IMHO) IS NOT "One-Design" ... how do you explain sails that vary by 4-6" in both boltrope and chord lengths, but they all had a "Hobie sailmakers patch" on them and were thereby class legal ... or "OD" boats that varied in wieght by 10-15%!!!!

AND FYI: Last weekend @ RHYC a "US Sailing Instructors" course was held ... there were individuals from five different Sailing Schools/Programs that were using a beach cat in their programs .... do you care to hazard a quess as too which "beach cat" they are using ???? It ain't no H16!!!!!

We need to make these "Wave" sailors welcome .... part of the "Hobie Family" and the larger Multhull community. Like it or not the Hobie Wave is the "de-facto" current entry level boat for a large percentage of "new" multihull sailors.

Ignore them at HCA-NA's peril ....

Harry Murphey