G.Zeus, man, YOU used the term 'hobie people,' how nice is that? Do you think those sort of expressions make X-brand boat owners feel like joining your cause? It smacks of snobbery, but hey, I'm sure that's good for the sport... and you wonder why the bitterness.

Why is it so difficult to understand that the situation is dire enough that telling ANYONE they can't come play in the sandbox is a bad idea, ESPECIALLY when the sandbox has been previously accessible to all?

Allow me to tell you a story:
Years ago, the only game in town was Hobie catamarans. There were lots of fleets and an established points system. And then, for whatever reason, people within these fleets began to leave, either to other types of boats or to leave altogether. Which was ok, 'cause the Brand X guys had their own stuff going on, and so did the Hobie guys.

And then, one day, the Hobie fleets, for whatever reason, didn't have enough numbers to fill out their regattas, so they opened up their regattas to all and sundry. The Brand X guys even stepped up and ran the races and they were certainly there to keep things going, I think the term 'delayed' was used, but it kept these groups from dying out immediately altogether. I know, I was one of those people keeping it going.

Now, the HCA has decided, not in the interest of beachcat sailing in and of itself, but for brand promotion and market share, that they will bar those who KEPT THE FLEETS ALIVE for all those years from participating.

Call that negativity all you like, but it's just plain obvious that I'm just voicing the cries of my sport when I say to you that EXCLUSIVITY WILL KILL THE SPORT. I've been watching it die, which process was accelerated by the Edict, and I'm damned if I'll let it go quietly. If the Edict had worked, Wessels, you wouldn't have to be out there beating the bushes.

You answer me one question, which I asked earlier, and you'll likely solve the problem:
If it were so very important to us all, a majority of us all, or even just the hardcore racers for that matter... that we onedesign race, then this debate wouldn't even be happening. Why, you ALL should be asking, don't the dedicated racers all go out and buy the same damn boat?

I would suggest to you that just about without exception we ALL, even those who are 'negative,' used to sail Hobie. WHY DID WE LEAVE? Maybe you ought to solve THAT problem and not go cutting folks out of the sandbox.