Originally Posted by brucat
I'm with you Pat, I'm really not understanding how people think hostility is helping any of this.

SMOD is clearly the problem, I can see that now…

Harry, if you were actually a member who gave an actual rats butt enough to be a member continuously (not just on odd years when it suits you), and to actually participate (as in, attend meetings), you would KNOW that the IHCA positions are ELECTED by the chairs of the regional associations. Here is the full list:

Mike

You say hostility is not the answer but then you blast murphy for stating his opinion.

Also, since we are on Lasers, I WAS a member of the Laser class, raced 1 year with them. The 3 different classes you talk about, well when the wind picks up, some sailors switch to a radial sail, but still race SMOD, totally legal apparently. There was always alot of talk amongst the group about who should be sailing in what class, none of it was welcoming or uplifting.
Also, talking about SMOD keeps cost down? Try to by the new Laser downhaul kit. Its like $300, but I can buy a Harken pivoting exit block, a couple of small airblocks, 2 pieces of line for under $100, and I have the same thing. But thats not class legal beacuase I didnt buy it from Laser.
Im not trying to stir the pot, but when I see guys who are factory reps talking like factory reps, and guys who are Hobie dealers talking like factory reps, and people who clearly only see Hobie as the only brand, then I have to call BS.
I know what happened in my area, and it wasnt pretty. Maybe other parts of the country can fall victim to the SMOD fantacism and claim it works well for thier area, and maybe it does, but not here in the Southeast.

Last edited by dave mosley; 06/04/09 01:08 PM. Reason: typing too fast to spell

The men were amazed, and said, "What kind of a man is this, that even the winds and the sea obey Him?" Matthew 8:27