Just in case there are any people new to catamaran sailing or racing who are reading this thread....please ignore it. Don't let it turn you off from checking out your local catamaran scene or attending any regatta for which you are willing to meet the entry requirements.

The People: All of the people posting to this thread that I know personally are really cool people. I know that some are very passionate and have worked very hard for their particular interests, racing formats, clubs, associations, or whatever. I believe the catamaran sailing community is better off for all of their efforts (except for some of the impassioned offerings of this thread).

The Boats: I've been on a lot of different multihulls and had a great time on every one. Hell, I have a great time on my father-in-law's O'Day Daysailer when I visit him and my cat is 125 miles away!

The Races: It takes an incredible amount of effort to put on regattas, and I am thankful for them all, even the ones that I am unable or choose not to attend. I have been to a lot of regattas (HCA sanctioned and open, at fancy yacht clubs and at bars). I have felt welcomed and had a great time at every one. Others' experience may be different, but I do not think that mine is a coincidence. My personal preference is to race boat for boat with other boats of my class. In addition, I prefer buoy racing as opposed to distance racing. Will I do a class sanctioned buoy regatta within a reasonable travel distance....yes. Will I do a distance race in an open fleet on Portsmouth within a reasonable travel distance....absolutely. Each one has it's own challenges, pros, and cons. I believe that the majority of sailors who race in my area are of the same mindset. Most do not know exactly what's required for their boat to be class legal, and most have not taken the time to learn how the Portsmouth system works. They just want to go and have a good time with good people.

The Sport: This situation is complicated....I don't believe there are any simple answers. There are many issues that have lead to the decline of sailing/racing in general and catamaran sailing/racing in particular. I'm sure it's one factor, but I don't believe that the move toward non-Hobie sailing and open racing in my area of the Southeast significantly hurt Hobie racing. Conversely, barring direct schedule conflicts, I don't think that the addition of some Hobie only events would significantly hurt open racing. And if I'm wrong, so what? Thankfully, folks have the right to put on whatever type regatta they choose, and folks have the choice of whether or not to attend. It will either work or it will not, but I would wish them well and admire them for trying, rather than bashing them. I do not believe we'll ever understand exactly what caused the decline of this sport or create a perfect formula for building it back, but I do know one thing. This thread is not helping.

Jerome Vaughan
Hobie 16
Clinton, Mississippi