More pics in the photo albumn as per below.
I prepared a surface to bond the vacuum film to in order to ensure a good seal. Layer of filler on the foam followed by coat of resin. (I later found two coats of resin, allowing cure between coats, appear to do the same job.)
[Linked Image]

Float laminated with peel ply on.

[Linked Image]

Managed to again pull a vacuum of 25 inches. (Around 12 pounds of pressure per sq inch.)
My $10 stethescope was very handy at finding the small leaks. The big leaks don't make a noise but you can usually see them.
Also I found out that the tacky tape does not stick well to resin with amine blush on it. Had to clean the amine blush off with acetone. In the past I had used a resin for the seal that does not blush. In future I'll stick with the blush free epoxy that I have when making sealing surfaces on the foam.
[Linked Image]

Using plastic and fan heaters to bring the temp up to 25 degC as the day cools.

[Linked Image]

Weighing everything that goes in and comes out I determined that 6.4 kgs of resin went in before vacuum and after pulled around 1 kg out in the wadding and peel ply.
I was pretty happy leaving only 5.5kg of resin in the hull side given the heavier weight of the external laminate. The resin content of the laminate looks just right.

[Linked Image]

An interesting point in the process was the need to get the glass to wrap around the keel by 50mm and stay up against the foam while we prepared for the vacuum. Gravity would be trying to work against this so I applied a layer of resin with fast hardener on the foam and did not try to wrap the glass around until it went tacky. The tacky resin easily did the job of holding the glass up against the foam while I wet out the glass with slow resin and prepared the vacuum.

Last edited by phill; 09/03/11 09:18 PM.

I know that the voices in my head aint real,
but they have some pretty good ideas.
There is no such thing as a quick fix and I've never had free lunch!