Originally Posted by ed.
Bullit has been bit.

So you purchased the plans? good show grin

Originally Posted by ed.

I'm a beginner in this boat building malarky so have a couple of questions:

What are the real world advantages of vac bagging the hulls, how much weight do you really save and what strength gain is there?

Hello Ed, I can't give you any figures and it depends probably on the laminating skills as well. It might save up to 25% in weight compared to a really wet layup.

Originally Posted by ed.

What about carbon... pro and cons, I guess you save a bunch of weight in using a lighter cloth(much more than vac bagging by my estimate). Whats the down side, I've seen something about poorer collision durability, a little bit more egg shell like, would this be fair? Would you use carbon for the hulls and not vac bag?

As for Carbon fibre, you will not find consensus on it. Some people swear by carbon. Others say it's not worth the cost. It certainly is lighter. But the laminate is also thinner and more prone to dents. For a racer the first point is important. For a cruiser you might be concerned about the second. I know one F-32 builder who uses carbon without vacuumbagging. It is more difficult to see if you have the laminate saturated with epoxy though.

For my boat the hulls are in (E)glass. Rudder, daggerboard and beams will be in carbon. For the mast and the wingnet beams I am thinking about carbon iso aluminium.

Originally Posted by ed.

I've got a lot of reading to do!

Handlayup (glass) F-22 Menno
Vacuum bagging and infusion (glass) F-82R Martin
Vacuumbagging (carbon) F-22 Andrew
Vacuumbagging (carbon) F-22 Tor
Handlayup (glass) F-22 Jay
Handlayup (glass) F-44SC Allen
Infusion (glass) F-39 Henny

Last edited by nico peursum; 01/23/12 05:19 PM.