Originally Posted by catman
There seems to be some confusion or I don't get it. The proposed rule change regarding rudder elevators does not allow changes to be made during racing. It allows changes up until the warning signal. The previous rule allowed changes up until 8 am day of the race. I assume the boats are measured the day of each race. There are a couple other aspects like size but the main one is adjustably.

That is the way I understand the rule and don't get what the big deal is. The winglets can not be adjusted while racing only before the warning signal to adjust for the wind strength since the wind builds during the day. The only advantage to Oracle is they have been training with adjustable winglets to find out the best angle for conditions which the other teams could have been doing, but seem to have just chosen to have a one angle for all conditions. I guess Oracle could set there winglets for light conditions and have an advantage if the winds stayed light , but could be at a disadvantage if the winds picked up. The teams could have put different rudders on each day before and just guess which would be best for conditions for that day.