I know if I were Larry, and I wanted to keep the cup, I'd make it just as expensive as last time, to eliminate as much competition as possible. One of the ways you make it expensive is....

New Rules, New Boats, Wing Sails!

All the while, the only bad rap on the last cup was, it was too expensive, and nobody showed up (competitor wise) for the Challenger Finals. This new rule doesn't seem to fix that problem. If fact, it makes the previously built AC 72's and their wings obsolete, so the teams that already had a boat, now have to spend just as much money as last time, designing and building new boats/wings, nearly as big so there's not much cost savings there.

If you're Larry, and you want to keep the cup out of reach, it's a brilliant move. Your PR say, "Hey, we made it more affordable so more teams can compete." but in reality, you've put it further out of reach for anyone but the bazzillionairs.

If he really wanted to make it more competitive, he'd do it on the 45's, that's where the really close competition is, but then he might lose the cup too.

Blade F16