Originally Posted by Team_Cat_Fever
Originally Posted by Timbo
Well since the racing is called off today, I guess we've got time to talk about this:

Do we think the development of these two foiling cats, the L boards in particular, will quickly trickle down into the A cat class, and perhaps other classes as well? I know they are already working with their C type lifting boards, the A's and the Nacra 20, the problem there is it's like riding on a sea-saw.

I'm talking about L boards with T rudders, foiling upwind and down, like these two boats.

I think if there were a type of moveable elevator flap on the T rudders, like the Moths use, it would be much more controllable. Maybe we could just steal a couple dagger boards and rudders off some Moths, and insert them into a light A cat, see what happens?

There's a slight difference in the power plant and power management between a 72 and a beachcat. 13 story wing vs. 30 foot mast. 10 pro sailors vs. 1 or 2 non-pro sailors. They're already doing some development in the A class, but I think it will be hard to come by ( money and skills) for us mere mortals, and very possibly will never materialize as being advantageous.

Ya think?

The AC went to the C class to get thier jump start with wings and even foils to a lesser extent.

What amazes me is that there are basically unlimited budgets and a very open box rule, yet we have in almost no time generated 2 boats who can get around the course within seconds of eachother at speeds approaching 50 knots. A minute win in the 12M days was considered a close race, now we have a 1 minute win and the anouncers are calling it a trouncing.

The A class has been proving this concept for years with new ideas and new designs, but the best sailors still win the events. The boats over time get slowly better and the class grows with it.

The new viewing technology and the boats may be generating a lot more viewership, but it is still too expensive to really try out a lot of concepts. The real proof and systems capable of actualy being used by teams less than 11 guys is still going to come out of the C class and super tallented fleet of sailors and designers they have put together for this season.

Starts this weekend bitches, and has the promise/potential to be an even better show