Originally Posted by mummp
That's painting the picture with a broad stroke. ...USCG issued a permit, you agree to it or you rescind it and get another one. Murray would do it in a second if he has to.

“This means racing can continue if the teams abide by the existing Class Rule and the Safety Rules,” said ACEA chief executive, Stephen Barclay. That implies that if the teams do not abide by the "safety rules", then racing cannot continue.

Regatta Notice 189 has been officially withdrawn (see RN 201) so the safety plan no longer ranks as rules, but the ACEA and the Regatta Director have elected NOT to amend USCG permit. So, either the teams abide by the safety plan "voluntarily", or the event is in violation of its permit terms.

That isn't really a problem, given that the only objections anybody had were to the class rule changes, and those are out. It just irks me that ACEA still seems pretty high-handed. You won't see anybody complain though. The Jury was pretty firm about sportsmanship in it's decision: "the Jury specifically reminds all Parties of their obligation to respect and preserve the favourable reputation of the America's Cup and the sport of sailing, and to refrain from any conduct that may be perceived as being other than in compliance with Protocol Article 60". The bickering, at least, should stop and that's a good thing.

I expect that Artemis will be allowed to compete, but I wouldn't be surprised if Oracle countered ETNZ with a proposal to change the class rule (permitting large, symmetric elevators for all) rather than specifically giving Artemis an exemption.

Last edited by Isotope42; 07/12/13 07:18 PM.