Hey Jake --you were the one with GPS on his wrist checking VMG S and very good at Navagation etc --I think that is what team O achieved by doing "something weird "upwind--A BETTER VMG upwind angle. The TV stats indicated a lower faster course sailed with better VMG . Jobson also mentioned he saw team O slide sideways a couple times upwind. This must be from attaining higher speeds by sailing a slightly lower -close reaching type angle then inadvertantly sometimes lifting on the foils as higher speed is reached . Going upwind surface foiling must be a delicate balance of angle vs speed keeping the radius board in the water for lateral resistance { from slipping sideways} . As a gust hits it must temporarily jump them up .

The designer in me can't help wonder if the foils were reversed --angled outward rather than tucked in towards the other windward hull, --that they would not provide much more lateral resistance upwind and the posibilty of foiling upwind most likely at close reach angles.

Seems team O has found a better upwind angle VMG than team N .

DISCLAIMER --i intend no disrespect to any person or team in observations -comments and constructive criticsms made --{joking a little here }

Carl

Last edited by Carl; 09/20/13 10:08 AM.