Originally Posted by Timbo
Wow, that's going to change a lot of stuff going forward!

So, do we "Go Back" to 100% human power, no computers, or do we go to the next step, fully automated Drone Foiler racing?

Heck, you could sit on the dock with a joystick and never even get wet, and still win the America's Cup!

I hate to sound like the Old Fart Monohull Only proponants, but really, where do you draw the line on this stuff?

All of these boats have computers on board (several). Personally, as long as the energy to move and adjust things comes directly from humans, I think it's OK. I might even support having the energy to power the computer systems to come from humans (or wind) as being OK but then you start asking questions about things like PDAs and digital compasses and the like.

It's about man harnessing the wind and using muscle to shape the things that catch it that works for me. We have digital GPS units, speedo's, and other tactical units that tell us when to turn, if we're hitting our target speeds, and if we're heading in the right direction. Offshore racers have computerized steering devices and we use computers to look up the weather. Computers even control the final design shape of the boats, foils, sails, masts, wings...Look at the whole boat, it's the result of a computer. I can see how something like this stability control is something relatively new and that we're not familiar with but when you look at the bigger picture of high technology racing in other sports, I don't think it detracts from the fact that this thing is still pulled around the course by wind and shaped by muscle.

Jake Kohl