I still think there is a happy medium in using multihulls and that it's not just monohull vs. catamaran that is causing the problem. We are on the bleeding edge of the foiling technology and it's expensive to develop. The design teams are huge and the boats are gigantic.

I think Morelli had the right idea last year. Ditch the wings but keep foiling. Go to soft sails and only give up a couple degrees of pointing ability. The costs go down quite a bit - boats can be left in the water every night, shipping costs are significantly reduced, development costs are reduced (although the exterior shape of the wing is OD, the control systems are not).

Then you look at the size of the boats. Would something less than 62 feet help? I don't know but costs do scale with size.

Every one of these items reduces the advantage that a wealthy defender has to keep winning so it may be a tough sell.

Regardless, I firmly believe that there is a happy formula under which foiling catamarans can be very successful in the AC - the answer isn't as simple as just switching to monodulls.

Jake Kohl