Originally Posted by Timbo
Well they complained there were only a few (4) teams who could even afford to show up with a 72. I think the number I heard, for Larry to win it, was about $200 Million. So now they will go cheap, to get more teams. This time, with the new 62 it will -only- cost....

$180 Million...each.

If they weren't going to make a major cost saving move, they should have left it as is, at least they already had 4 AC 72's built.

OR... if they were serious about saving money and attracting more teams, leave it at 45'.

I predict when the next AC 62 challenger series come around, there will still only be 4 teams who show up, if that, who can afford to build a competitive foiling hard wing 62. The new rule changed nothing in the cost required to compete. So it was all nonsense.

1. ETNZ
2. Australia
3. Artimis
4. Prada?

Sure there will be many more AC45 teams, but let's see how many build a 62 and show up at the Challenger finals.

I don't know if I totally agree...the wing will be one design now - so you save all the costs related to molds, forms, engineers, and computer time for that one which is a very different thing for someone to come in cold on.

Jake Kohl