Originally Posted by jollyrodgers
Originally Posted by catman
They're ok. Green did say that NZ was adjusting the ride height by moving the the rudder which is not correct. You'd think they would understand that by now.

The English commentator really had things confused when he said one of the crewman's job was to adjust the rudder post angle during flight to stabilize the vessel…..
Is this right? -pertaining to the rudder wing/hydro-foiling concept: The main foils' AOI has been dialed in so that the boat flies low and level/slightly bow down. The elevators are part of the hydro-foiling system, and perform the function of stabilizers, pulling the transom down while in flight. They are sized, and set with the AOI different than the main foil in such a way that they are of minimum drag to provide the necessary force. During take-off the elevators are apparently lifting like a water ski.
Ride height is not under direct control. The tip of the main foil rising into the air seems to have something to do with that, along with the ability to change the AOI of the main foil. A move which seems to be mostly for take off and maneuvers, not general flight, I'm guessing.
Why the term elevators? is it because they lift up and push down like an elevator?

Also, there is some speculation that the on-board cameras would reveal too much and the other teams could get some data.

I don't think anyone knows exactly what ENTZ's capability's are when it comes to adjusting the rudder/T-foil. I seem to remember that at one point they were ok with adjusting the T-foil up until the warning signal. With that in mind you would have to assume that they have the ability to change the rudder angle in a fore and aft fashion. Now can they do it on the fly? Don't know.

I think it's proper to view the T-foil on the bottom of the rudders as just that. There are a couple videos posted here that explain Oracle's set up. In the one with RC he shows a T-foil with an adjustable elevator on the back of the T-foil. He said that it could only be adjusted by turning a small screw on the bottom. So I think that is where the term elevator fits into the conversation.

Have Fun