Originally Posted by Team_Cat_Fever
Originally Posted by samc99us
I'm not convinced ETNZ will go back to lead-haulers. Please show me the quote where key team members specifically state that?

I don't have the time to do your homework for you ,but if you go back to when ETNZ first committed there were a couple of interviews where it was stated by Grant Dalton that it would go back to monos. Dig around you'll find them. I saw them in the AC thread on S.A. and apparently there are newer quotes saying high tech monohulls (TP 52 style ?) with nationality rules, haven't seen those myself though.

I dug before my original post...I couldn't find any quotes. The best I can find is Grant Dalton saying they'll poll the competition. That very well may mean a switch back to monohulls but I doubt it. The sailors are enjoying learning these new beasts, it's obviously great for T.V and the crowds when the racing is close as in the finals, and they employ a lot of people. Canting-keel monohulls can't be raced close to shore and typically require an engine to boost the hydraulic pressure, so the mono is no good for high speed, and probably not too good for the T.V

Personally I would like to see a AC45-like boat, one design hull shape, open soft-sail rig and open foils, essentially what Morrelli suggested. Notably cheaper, speed the same, more teams etc. Probably not in the best interest of the defender so unlikely, but one can dream.

Scorpion F18