Originally Posted by Jake
I had a coworker lament about the current format. He doesn't know much about sailing but has watched some America's Cup sailing in the past. He came across it on the TV schedule so he dialed it up. Even though he's engineer-esque, the advanced technology was lost on him because he doesn't have a basis for comparison. From his perspective, the racing is boring - there are no sail changes, no spin poles breaking, and it's a one pony show. I tried my argument for the incredible technology and even dialed up a video of the NZ stuffing the other day. It was an opinion that I couldn't counter. Nope, not interested.

I thought it was an interesting (and probably a quite common) outsider opinion.

See I had the opposite reaction from my non-sailing friend that I've gotten hooked on this AC. My friend Robert wants to buy a hobie now and is glued to his tablet watching every race... He's totally hooked on the speed and technology of the boats.

My friend Dave at work loves the thrill of disaster. He ate up the ETNZ nosedive and all he said was "The only thing that would have made that better is if they had wrecked!"

The only people that seem to be displeased with the racing so far - from my anecdotal observations - are sailors.