Originally Posted by brucat
The best part of the presser: Larry said that it would be great if more kids start sailing, and if they sail HOBIE CATS instead of Lasers!

He later botched it a bit by talking about Lasers a lot, but did circle back and again mentioned getting kids onto cats!!!!!

We need to find a way to tap into this momentum...

Mike

Many years ago (16?) when I was teaching a kids sailing class in Optis, along comes the Hobie Wave. When I saw it I thought it would replace the Opti, the kids hated the slow, small, solo little Optis, but they LOVED putting two or three of them on the Wave, and going much faster too!

I know we've had this discussion many times before, and the reason the Opti is more popular as a youth trainer is only because a Yatch Club can buy/store/maintain more Opti's on site, easier, than the same number of Waves. I'll bet if Hobie could design some type of a storage rack system, and cheap/light/easy type of beach wheels to launch the Waves, they could sell a lot more of them to the Yacth Club youth programs. Still, you'd need a beach at the club to launch them from, and many Yacth Clubs just don't have a beach available, but a set of floating docks, which makes it a PITA to launch/retrieve a Wave from.

I once saw a Hobie 16 that lived on a 12'x 12' floating square, because there was no beach anywhere, but that was just one Hobie 16, you'd need a pretty hefty rack system to store 10 Hobie Waves on a float like that. (and a bigger float!)

Blade F16