Originally Posted by Undecided
Originally Posted by P.M.
I'm not sure Oracle would have recovered with their lower bow volume.

See I had the opposite opinion.

I see a boat with huge bows stuffing it and stopping. This is ok on our small beach cats when all we need to do is let go of every sheet on the boat to unload the rig, but on a wing sailed boat controlled by hydraulics I think its a problem. Remember how when the Extreme 40's used to pitchpole every other minute? Speaking to the sailors on those boats, it was because to sheet the main on those things you had to pump a handle and to let it out you hit a big red button... and it let the main out SLOOOOOW ressulting in pitchpoles that to us look completely avoidable.

On Oracle, the hulls will certainly drag the boat but I don't think you'd see the same kind of dead-stop you saw on the ETNZ boat.

I could be wrong, but after sailing a boat with big bows now for a couple years I can tell you that they help, and hurt.

I don't think there is enough difference in hull width between oracle and TNZ for that to make much difference. They're different, but both still fairly fine in the scheme of things. Especially compared to a N-20 deck and hull shape. More like the difference between 2 current, different manufacturer, F-18s.
The wing is trimmed by a winch that is controlled hydraulically ,so the control is just like any winch on any boat, sans winch handle. The trimmer, in this case Glenn Ashby, controls the amount and speed of trim or ease with the sheet, instantly,i.e the hydros spin the winch not pull the sheet like an Extreme 40. Wing loads are considerably lower than soft sail loads also, for what it's worth.
The announcer was talking about foil angle to far back. Watch the replay, yes,the top is back but that makes the bottom of the foil(under the boat) forward (it pivots on the bottom of the trunk) which gives positive aoa/lift. Pure power caused that problem, coupled possibly with loss of rudder foil ( negative aoa). Not sure Deano could have done anything with the helm to stop it.Like Ken Read said, "Nature of the beast".

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White