Originally Posted by Isotope42
Originally Posted by Jake
ETNZ had to know that.

ETNZ argued that Protocol 15.4(e): "The Jury shall act ... with the following powers in resolving disputes,... to make orders regarding the conduct of the Event to enforce and give effect to the Rules and decisions of the Jury" gives the Jury the power to enforce (or not enforce) a rule to resolve a dispute. That is certainly no bigger stretch than other arguments made by ACRM and GGYC regarding Protocol 15.4(b) and 15.4(h).

The Jury, however, interpreted the rules literally and limited its own power accordingly. I give the members full marks for that.

ACRM and GGYC, however, have now said that the competitors must "voluntarily" accept the safety recommendations or there will be no regatta. That hardly sounds voluntary to me. ETNZ, LR, and Oracle have all acceded though, stating their support of safety.

Keeping the larger elevator requirement without allowing the foils to extend outside the hull profile, however, has left Artemis out in the cold. Since the Jury did not grant Artemis an exception, ETNZ has proposed that the other teams agree to it instead. That would permit Artemis to use their symmetric rudder elevators. We'll have to see if LR and Oracle agree - and if not, why not.

Interesting - so what are the opportunities for the race management to protest a boat for building outside the class rule if the competitors agree to not protest against them? (I hope none).

Jake Kohl