Originally Posted by Jake
Back to New Zealand's stuffing...I think the foil angle did contribute to it by allowing them to foil so high that the rudder foil was too close to the surface. Once the rudder foil lost traction the boat simply teeters on the board. Once it pivots so far, the board goes from lifting to pulling down and "splash".

I guess that's possible, but then again the angle probably doesn't matter IF the rudder comes out of the water, it's going to pitch no matter what the angle was. If adjusting it would have kept the rudder in the water ,then maybe you could blame it on that.Look at how Ainslie's boat stood up when it lost it's rudder. That shows how much downforce they provide.
I still think it was an issue of being way overpowered, Barker even called the gust right before the stuff.
To expand a bit. makes you wonder if the "Battery problem" with the hydraulics doesn't stem from water intrusion ( shorting the battery) from the stuff. Just a theory.

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White