I work directly on international trade and business development deals. To say first world nations are "concerned" is an understatement.

Not that they are predicting clamity; rather "uncertainty" which in the short term is much more disastrous. Several multi-national deals which would actually (gasp) create jobs (or at least wealth - unfortunately, not much of my own) have been on hold since the rumors of Brexit. Now this train-wreck of an election...

But now that part of the uncertainty is dealt with (we have a president-elect), the cabinet appointments will be the next trigger. Foreign trade policy is much more time consuming to unwravel, which might allow markets to recover somewhat.

Our next move on foreign policy (do we shift alliances?) will affect a great number of moving parts (namely, foreign investment & trade) with certain economies (euro, asian, and even indian or eastern euro).

What has this to do with Joe the Plumber? Pretty much nothing. Joe likely doesn't have retirement savings or investments, and people's toilets will still clog regardless of their 401(k) balance.

Joe's challenge toward middle class growth will be his chops (or lack thereof) to grow his business. Joe can only fix so many pipes in one day. Business acumen, marketing skill, and staff development are his keys to success. Can he excel? The free-market will tell.

A business mentor once shared that she was happy to pay taxes because it meant that the company had earned money. She built a two person business into a 600 employee staffing firm and retired at 50 with a 85' motoryacht as a retirement gift. Last I heard she was in the Med. enjoying her late 60's.

I also knew several business competitors that never got past a meager staff.

What was her edge? It's not like that industry is particle physics.

Jay