This thread has gotten much too serious. How about some humor?

ND lawmakers defend Sunday 'Blue Law' so 'wives can make breakfast in bed,' not spend their money

Want to stop into Target to pick up household supplies on a Sunday afternoon? You can’t. Using what’s known as a Sunday “Blue Law,” it is illegal in North Dakota for businesses to operate on Sunday:

Except as otherwise provided in sections 12.1-30-02 and 12.1-30-03, it is a class B misdemeanor for any person between the hours of twelve midnight and twelve noon on Sunday to do any of the following activities:

a. Engage in or conduct business or labor for profit in the usual manner and location.

b. Operate a place of business open to the public.

There are a few exceptions, but for the most part, the entire state is shut down. Needless to say, a lot of residents would like to see this archaic law gone from the books and be free to operate their businesses and run their errands as they see fit. So, North Dakota lawmakers have been debating the repeal of their blue law and some of the defenses are nothing short of jaw-dropping. From another century, even another planet:

One lawmaker in favor of keeping the law in place feels Sunday mornings should be used for your wife to make you breakfast in bed.

"Spending time with your wife, your husband. Making him breakfast, bringing it to him in bed and then after that go take your kids for a walk,” says Representative Bernie Satrom.

Another feels his wife spends all his hard earned money the rest of the week and his wallet needs a day off. "I don't know about you but my wife has no problem spending everything I earn in 6 and a half days. And I don't think it hurts at all to have a half day off," says Representative Vernon Laning.

You see, his wife already has too much time to spend his money. His wallet needs a day off!

When the comments were made public, Rep. Laning basically told Valley News Live that all you little ladies need to get a sense of humor. Yuck, yuck. Thanks for mansplaining the hilarious joke to us, Rep. Laning!

His wallet needs a half day off. Nuck, nuck, nuck. Isn't that funny?

US Sail Level 2 Instructor
US Sail Level 3 Coach