Well that escalated quickly!

Trump appointee tells Trump NO!... Just won't do it!.. Trump Fires Her. Swears in appointee number two. Then fires the guy who he thinks screwed up his big victory of the muslim weekend... the customs and immigration guy..

This smells like the Nixon Sat Night Massacre It took Nixon to the third level to get some one to fire Archibald Cox, the Nixon special prosecutor who wanted Nixon's tapes.

So... yes... the president can fire his political appointees.. and the context matters.

But... wow... what an echo from history.

(In this issue, Trump could have just picked a Justice Dept Trump flunky /true believer/ to defend his actions in court as a special prosecutor and tell her to recuse her self... and wait till his guy gets approved... but... well you know... his small hands meant ... not taking that crap from some no name babe)

The screws of history... are evil. That Nixon lackey was none other then Robert Bork.... So... as Trump gets ready to name a new Justice (after the BS of the last year for Garland) ...It was going to take a herculean performance to pretend that the next justice action was not pure politics. It will be nuclear.

Now, Trump has fallen into the trap of having the justice department viewed as his political enforcer. Moreover, today Spicer told the State Dept people signing onto a statement opposing the new travel ban.... don't like it.... leave! (not even sharp enough to remind the staff to do their job and he was sure.... they would do their job... NOPE...its trumps way... or the highway)

The public LOVES a strong man... so Trump may fire up his base... He just said... YOUR FIRED.... In a world where you are the hammer.... EVERYTHING looks like a nail and its what he knows... So... couple that with those hippies with pink pussy hats in the streets... and History makes another echo. Nixon destroyed McGovern and those hippie loosers as the dems were in total disarray (just like now)
Now THAT is a possible future echo of the past....

Other echoes.... The echo of J Edgar Hoover is problematic... I could not have believed that the Justice Department's FBI guy, Comey, ignoring all precedent and advice from his boss and playing politics with the Clinton investigation using the FBI as a weapon...AND then punting on the russian intervention till the election was over... Trump says... good boy... you can stay for your ten year contract.

I am having an even worse horrible flashback then Hoover and watching the TV show... the propoganda called "Tales of the FBI" tho!.... I remember being driven to grade school and listening to the morning news coming from Viet Nam. The US killed 30 ... 50... 100s of viet cong and suffered just a few casualties day after day ... I thought of it like a ball game... Cool.... we are winning 100 to 5... Then I remember the anti war marches... and I followed my parents point of view that ONLY Nixon could protect us from those Hippie commies. Did you see what they did to the returning soldiers who were THIS CLOSE TO WINNING THE WAR... Didn't Nixon's secret plan to win the WAR almost work... (40 years later we find out ONLY after telling the South Vietnamese... NOT to cut a deal with Johnson and end the damn thing... so that he could beat Humprhey) Then I remember my Governor/Sitting Vice President.... resigning... Why ... I was told... Oh... the commies trumped up some charges.. (he strong armed kickbacks in my county) Those appeasers forced us to surrender in Viet Nam... WTF... the USA NEVER looses a war... The hippie left did this.... So.... i remember being very sad when they got Nixon. What?... they nailed him for dirty tricks campaign... REALLY....

Thank god... they taught history in college..and i learned to read the newspaper and the history of the constitution.

Trump is out there doing exactly what trump promised... Can't imagine it working... How much of my flashback reprises.... god, I hope none of it... but not looking good right now.
So, I guess I have the misfortune of living through the 70s again... this time a bit more aware! I was just a kid getting fed propoganda, the usual american fairy tale that white washed our past. ...Now as an adult... i get fed alternate facts... Its just different!

Till I read of the Canadian tragedy of a white supremacist opening fire on the poor people in the mosque killing 5... Anti muslim action..... who would have predicted?

rant over! (i feel better now)

Last edited by Mark Schneider; 01/31/17 12:18 AM.

crac.sailregattas.com